1. The 7WCSCM



Ciao!

Welcome back on my blog, I hope you’re all doing well!

Today I want to tell you about the opportunity I had to take part in the 7th World Conference on Structural Control and Monitoring. It sounds great, right? And actually it was!

  
The 7WCSCM, held every four years, is aiming at promoting advanced structural control and monitoring technology for a variety of civil, mechanical, aerospace and energy systems. It’s a premier leading conference, under the auspices of the International Association for Structural Control and Monitoring (IACSM). The precedent conferences have been held in Pasadena - USA (1994), Kyoto - Japan (1998), Como - Italy (2002), La Jolla - USA (2006), Tokyo - Japan (2010) and Barcelona - Spain (2014).  This year it took place in Qingdao (China) from the 22nd to the 25th of July and it hosted 16 keynote speakers and 39 special sessions with more than 500 abstracts submitted. 

I got the opportunity to present my research within the special session called “Highway Infrastructure Monitoring” aimed at introducing the monitoring community to the challenges of pavement condition assessment and monitoring. I first submitted an abstract (November 2017) and then a full paper (March 2018) entitled “Towards health monitoring of road pavements with embedded strain sensors”, that were accepted for an oral presentation.
Basically I explained to the audience why the long-term monitoring of road infrastructures is important for our society and I described the instrumented section built in Corbas (Lyon, France) by embedding two types of sensors in the road pavement. The goal of this project is an implementable, usable, and accurate sensing technology integrated in a more global system of data acquisition, interpretation and visualization. 
Of course guys, if you would like to know more about what I’m working on, or if you would like to have more technical details you can send me an email or contact me on the social networks.

This being said let’s say that until the last seconds before my presentation I was excited and nervous at the same time. Even if I like to present my work, public speaking makes me feel anxious. Fortunately my presentation was on the first day, so after that I could enjoy the conference, meet really nice people from all over the world, and visit the city. 
As I told you the conference was in Qingdao, a city in eastern Shandong Province on the east coast of China. It’s the largest city in its province with a population of about 9 000 000. It was my first trip to China and the first out of Europe! Here there are some pictures.


 

It was a great experience, something that, some years ago, I never imagined! I learned that conferences are good for both professional and human relationships.

And now….it’s HOLIDAY TIME! Tomorrow I’m going to Lecce for 2 weeks and I’m looking forward to enjoying my family, my friends and my beautiful homeland.


I hope you’re having a pleasant vacation, or you had it already


Ciao and see you soon!

 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3. A source of inspiration

0. Let's start!

2. Almost one year...